Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend
Trina12:58 PM 0 comments

The origins of Memorial Day began in the late 1800s when Americans honored their fallen soldiers.  Traditionally, it falls on the last Monday of May, which means many spoiled Americans view the holiday as a three-day weekend filled with the beginning of summer activities, cookouts, and overall relaxation without much more thought or consideration.  This year, we mostly behaved in that exact way...visiting the pool and mooching off our friends with grilling abilities. 

In all fairness, though, we likely wouldn't have attended so many cookouts had it not suddenly become necessity with the recent death of our refrigerator.  God saved us with these cookouts, otherwise slim rations would have overtaken the Almeda household as we were waiting for my paycheck before we went and re-bought all our now-spoiled groceries.

That said, I'd rather have a dead fridge than a dead loved one, so my heart goes out to every soldier and the families of those soldiers as they sacrifice themselves everyday so that Americans like me can pretend like I've got it rough.  I'm pretty sure the words I'm looking for here are "thank you."

On Saturday, we trekked our first visit to the pool having successfully conviced Mr. Almeda to agree that we spring for the membership.  Expensive it was, but oh so worth it.  I shall be crisp as bacon by the end of the summer, and Fallon shall be a fish.  Or at least very wrinkled.  How did I convince him?  I told him all our friends were already members!


Saturday evening we headed over to our friends, the Latham's, for a tasty dinner including pulled pork, grilled asparagus, fruit bowls, chips, and coconut cake with coconut ice cream.  That family wins the cookout award.

On Sunday night, a former colleague of mine, Nikki, was hosting her birthday celebration.  Miss out on another opportunity to stuff ourselves with the grace of others?  I think not.



Of course, while the adults were busy stuffing ourselves beyond reasonable limitations, the kids were burning off their energy playing with Nikki's Xbox Kinect.  We need to get one of those.



The end of our weekend was marked by Monday's arrival.  Mr. Almeda was actually able to join us at the pool along with many of our other friends.  And yes, we joined another cookout Monday afternoon.




 

Next year, we should probably at least put up a flag.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-klV7-b6uACM/Titt-7PaOsI/AAAAAAAAA50/titGyCfImuk/s720/DSC_8618.jpg
About The Author Mrs. Almeda I am pretty awesome.

0 comments

Post a Comment