Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day 2010
Trina11:59 PM 0 comments

Evidently, our local community opted to celebrate the FOURTH of July on the THIRD of July (the crazies).  So we missed it. 

However, simply because our surrounding cities are lost in confusion, doesn't mean the Almeda family must also suffer.  We made our own celebration (on the actual Fourth of July by the way)!

After church this morning, we started our celebration off with a little dessert: a frosted fudge brownie.

Fallon helped herself to three pieces and two glasses of milk, singing "happy birthday" with each serving.  Yes Fallon, Happy Birthday to America!

With that sugar rush, we had to burn it somehow.  I could tell you that we went onto the front porch to sing American gospel music and that Fallon was particularly touched, but the truth is, we played with bubbles. 

She had even started to get the hang of making them herself.

Then, it was time for the parade.  Please pay no attention to the bare mattress at the end...we happen to be potty training...

We had pizza and kool-aid for dinner and spent the next few hours channel surfing for anything patriotic. 

Dark finally hit around 9:30, so we headed outside.  A friend of ours, Ms. Devon, was kind enough to offer her company during our little party.  Nervous that Fallon may not delight in lighting explosives, I decided to start safe and work our way to the flashy stuff.  So first, we played with the glow sticks.  Fallon quite enjoyed her shiny red necklace and the sticks made excellent percussive instruments.

We then graduated to sparklers.  Fallon really thought the sparkles were something special.  She was holding her very own star!  (No...not by herself...I may feed my child brownies and kool-aid, but I'm not to the point yet of handing her fire.  Maybe next year.)

Once the sparklers ran out, it was time for the big guns.  We headed up to the top of the driveway (to avoid the cars at the bottom) and planted ourselves in the yard.

I got to be the one to light the fireworks this year, and I think I did a pretty darn good job, if I do say so myself! 

Although none of the fireworks we had made the loud booming noises (thankfully...I hate them and I'm pretty sure Fallon would more than hate them...and us...and the lawn...and the top of the driveway...and night...and anything else possibly associated with them), Fallon didn't know what to think at first of the fiery display before her.

At the end of the show...she was smiling and helping us identify the colors.  I promise.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.  God Bless America.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-klV7-b6uACM/Titt-7PaOsI/AAAAAAAAA50/titGyCfImuk/s720/DSC_8618.jpg
About The Author Mrs. Almeda I am pretty awesome.

0 comments

Post a Comment