For the title that I owe the most in student loans, I am an athletic trainer. For many people, it doesn't make sense that I went to an overpriced private university to earn a bachelor's degree in athletic training then immediately continued on to earn my master's degree at another university in sports medicine. One might wonder what the heck I was thinking when one can earn a personal training certification by sitting through a single 4-hour course.
Well folks, an athletic trainer is a healthcare professional. Technically, we are "allied health professionals," which puts me in the same sort of category as a nurse, or a physical therapist (though we share a greater similarity with the physical therapist than with the nurse). A personal trainer is a fitness professional. And there are rather significant differences.
First, the education and training:
Though some fitness centers now require bachelor degrees in kinesiolgy or exercise science when hiring their personal trainers, those degrees are not necessary to become certified. You can become a personal trainer with a high school diploma if you're willing to sit through a class and are able to pass the subsequent test. Personal characteristics (like the ability to build a loyal clientelle) tend to be more important.
In order to become an athletic trainer, you must obtain a bachelor's degree in an accredited athletic training program and pass a board exam upon completion of your degree requirements. You get three tries to pass before you're required to go back to school (or pick a different career). If you actually want a decent paying job, you'll be needing a Master's degree. Many athletic trainers now hold PhD's. In that entry-level degree program, you must become proficient in anatomy, physiology, orthopedic pathology, risk management, clinical examination, therapeutic modalities, physical rehabilitation, general pharmacology, biomechanics, psychology, and nutrition. And yeah, you learn how to tape and brace stuff. And how to make really cool ice bags (ask me, I'll show you sometime). You can be socially awkward and still be successful as an athletic trainer. To an extent.
Second, by the job itself:
If you're looking to achieve a specific fitness goal (lose weight, gain weight, whatever), your friendly...or militant...personal trainer is your go-to-guy. This is their passion. They (should) know how to train the body to achieve some of the most incredible physical feats. I like personal trainers, and if I had more disposable income, I'd hire one myself.
Even though I'm well-versed in how to design and execute an exercise program...and can even couple it with some basic nutritional guidelines...that's so not my thing. If you know me, my stubborn waistline can attest to the fact that dessert is much more favored in my life than fitness. My role, as an athletic trainer, is to help you out with any fitness-related injuries. Most often, I work alongside or within the prescriptions of an orthopedist. Laws vary state to state, but here in Georgia, I'm legally allowed to attempt to prevent, recognize and evaluate, and treat or rehabilitate athletic injuries by the use of heat (i.e. hot packs), light (i.e. laser), sound (i.e. ultrasound), cold (i.e. ice packs), electricity (i.e. eletrical stimulation), or mechanical devices (i.e. traction) related to those purposes (I totally just put the law in my own words, by the way). I can even charge your insurance for my services. Except I won't, because insurance billing and coding sucks.
Third, by the regulations:
There are several certifying agencies for personal trainers. ACE, NASM, ACSM, NSCA, AFAA, NFPT, ISSA, NPTI, and AFPA just to name a few. I've held certifications from ACE, AFAA, and ISSA while working in gyms through college. Continuing education requirements vary by certifying agencies, so if you fail to meet or just don't like one, get certified by another. As long as your gym likes you and you don't do something horrible enough to get fired, you can switch your credentials as often as you please.So anyhow, though I don't typically sign my personal correspondences with the letters behind my name (I find that rather pretentious), I do carry a few of them, and they are rather significant. When I'm feeling the need to be professional (or pretentious), I typically sign my name like this:
There is one national board of certification for athletic trainers. We all have to adhere to the same standards of practice and the same continuing education requirements (75 contact hours every three years). I can earn my continuing education by attending college courses, completing "CEU quizzes" off certain medical journals, and by attending medical seminars. Medical professionals don't always make for entertaining speakers, by the way. Should I fail to adhere to those regulations, my certification would be revoked and I could not be employed as an athletic trainer anywhere in the country. There is also state licensure, but here in Georgia, that's really just me maintaining my national certification and giving the state my money. Which I'm fine with...except for the money part but I guess we can't win at everything.
Trina L. Almeda, MS, ATC/L
Of course, if any of my friends or family find themselves suffering from an ache or a pain (or something a little more significant), I can offer my expertise. I can't always fix it (not quite a surgeon), but I can almost always help. And if it's beyond my abilities...I can suggest some great physicians. I love helping my loved ones...it gives me the warm and fuzzies.
Just don't ask me for a weight loss plan. I'll give you a big fat cookie.
0 comments
Post a Comment