Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sick in the Summertime
Trina1:30 PM 1 comments

The day after the official first day of summer, my poor baby girl woke up with a tummy ache. The next few hours were followed with a drowsy, thirsty, and hungry little one who couldn’t keep anything down. To her credit though, while I was scrubbing another vomit session out of our living room couch, she went and fetched her bucket. If she hadn’t snatched up my heart already, she sure did with that move.



Anyhow, I wanted to blog about the episode, because in my frenzy of what-to-do having been failed by sips of water and munching on a popsicle, I posted on Facebook that I didn’t know what to do for my little angel. And to the rescue, my dear friend Emily (who happens to be a nurse), responded with what I thought to be quite sage advice:

The biggest thing is to give her tummy rest. Wait 45 minutes after she gets sick before offering anything. After 45 minutes of not getting sick, offer her no more than one tablespoon of liquid no more than 5 minutes apart. After she has kept that down for a while, then you can work towards solids. If you’re concerned about hydration, etc., do something like Pedialyte. When you do solids, do the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). My doctor always says to not be as concerned about hydration as giving her tummy rest instead of trying to force liquids too quickly.

So, it ended up working, and by that afternoon, Fallon had nearly emptied our kitchen of its entire inventory, none of it "revisited."
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-klV7-b6uACM/Titt-7PaOsI/AAAAAAAAA50/titGyCfImuk/s720/DSC_8618.jpg
About The Author Mrs. Almeda I am pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. So glad this worked!! It's funny how it's totally logical to not feed a child who just threw up, but all of us moms are so afraid that the contents we just saw emptied must certainly be our children's entire hydration system... ;)

    ReplyDelete