Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Our Georgia Stay-cation, Part 3
Trina6:41 PM 0 comments

Some time ago, I reconnected with a friend from high school via Facebook.  I realize that statement bears no real significance...who hasn't found friends from high school through Facebook?  Though I didn't immediately realize it (evidently, I should pay more attention to people's profiles), we actually now live about an hour apart!  And possibly even better (or more dangerous), she lives just minutes from possibly the best outlet mall ever.

Finally!  Someone can understand and empathize with just how life was when we were in high school!  Someone can verify that no, really, the entire county (not just the city) closed it's doors by 9pm every night and NOTHING but the church was open on Sunday (okay...churches...).  There were no malls for at least 100 miles, and by today's standards for malls...not for nearly 300 miles.  People dropped out of high school at 16 not to sell drugs, but to start families and work on the farm.  We actually played the Walmart games suggested in that infamous e-mail chain...and it was a really big deal when Walmart started selling groceries.  Our cheerleaders (yes, darnit, I was one of them), even cheered the grand opening of the then-highly-controversial Super Walmart.  We had a movie theatre with 4 screens.  A high school.  3 middle schools and 3 elementary schools.  Parties were held in hayfields.  We had a "bring your tractor to school day."  I knew how to line dance...more than just the electric slide.

Christina (that's her name) invited us to join her on a playdate with another friend of hers in Canton, about 30 minutes north of us.  The day was intensely hot and sunny...a perfect day for the pool.  After introductions, we learned our hosts were Kate and Andy, who had a beautiful little girl, Sierra, just 7 months older than Fallon.  Christina had married Nathan, and they had two children: a very handsome Micah was just a week away from Sierra and Keziah was the adorable and quite social baby at 7 months old.

The pool area itself was simply incredible.  It was quiet despite other patrons, impeccably maintained, and employed lifeguards.  There was a beach entrance to the large pool that immediately extinguished any fears or hesitations of the little ones, and a separate pool reserved just for adults.  The third pool was the receiving area for the waterslide. 

Fallon, like all the other children and their dads, loved the waterslide.  She loved it so much, she took her toys with her every time. 




Fallon did not really love the mushroom thing.  But we did try.



Afterwards, we all reconvened at our hosts' house for pizza and company.  I think it's safe to say...we all enjoyed the afternoon.  And of course, with meeting new friends, playing in a new pool, and adventuring in a new city (no, we hadn't yet been to Canton) easily qualifies this adventure for the Georgia Stay-cation of 2010.  Thank you again Green family for the invitation, and Potts family for being such gracious hosts!
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-klV7-b6uACM/Titt-7PaOsI/AAAAAAAAA50/titGyCfImuk/s720/DSC_8618.jpg
About The Author Mrs. Almeda I am pretty awesome.

0 comments

Post a Comment